Saturday, April 19, 2014

20 Pie Crusts or close to it!

I'm really starting to like Pinterest!  So many ideas and so many different interests but one can't get carried away because I think you can spend more time at the sight than actually doing some of the ideas, lol.

I found this on Pinterest and went to the site:  http://www.nuttnhoney.net/KimsKitchen/20FreezerPieCrusts.html
Some webpages come and go and I don't want to lose this one so I'll post the recipe below but if you go to the page you'll get step-by-step details on what she does to create her pie crusts.

My changes in red:
I used 3- 1 lb regular Crisco.  Add them to your Bosch bowl first and mix, add salt, add flour/water alternating until mixed.
I ground up regular wheat kernels and sifted until I had about 5.5 lbs.
I weighed my dough out to 8.5 oz and ended up with 18 circles.

Pie dough


The Recipe:
3 lb can Crisco vegetable shortening (I use Butter-Flavored Crisco)
5 lb all-purpose flour (I sub. 1-2# of the a/p flour with white bread flour)
3 cups ice water
2 Tbsp. salt

Mix in a very large bowl or pan (I use my Bosch with the dough hook).
Blend flour, salt, and Crisco together (by hand if necessary).
Add ice water and mix all together just until blended.
Form into patties weighing approx. 7.6 oz. each (if you have a scale and want to get 20 out of the recipe). 

Makes about 18 to 20.

1 comment:

tanita✿davis said...

We now have a deep freeze, and I, too, have been well intrigued by some of the recipe ideas I've found! I'm still not making that many pie crusts, though!!!! ☺