Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Birdseed Wreath


I made a birdseed wreath. It was pretty simple and you can get the recipe here: http://www.infarrantlycreative.net/2012/03/birdseed-wreath.html

 Or here's the list of ingredients but I used whole wheat flour and had to add a touch more water
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat but had to add extra water)
3 tablespoons light corn syrup

4 cups wild bird seed

bundt pan
nonstick spray
Whisk gelatin and warm water in a bowl. Add flour and corn syrup. Add birdseed and stir with a wooden spoon. Spoon mixture into greased bundt pan and press down. I first used a small measuring cup to pat it down quite tightly and then wet hands for the final press.

Let it harden for a few hours. Pop out of the pan and let the other side harden. Hang it up using string or ribbon and watch the birds.

Do not hang it where it will get rained on!


Here's the finished wreath
Birdseed wreath
I'm sure the birds are going to love it!
Drying in the bundt pan
Drying the other side
The next one I make I think I will use wire to create a circle smaller than the pan.   Add half your birdseed and lay the wire down with the ends sticking out the top.  Add the rest of the bird seed.  When it dries you would have a built in hook for the string to loop through.  I'll add to the post when I find out which child took my wire and where they took it!

Edit:  I finally snapped a picture of a bird eating the wreath!
Bird Wreath

3 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

I hope that the birds love it, and that you can get some good photos of them. :)

We've hung one beneath the eaves of our house (out of the rain) but the birds have been too dumb, so far, to have found it. I think we may have to relocate it to somewhere more obvious.

tanita✿davis said...

How lovely! Can you imagine, for a winter wedding, what fun it would be to have these in the trees outside of the reception hall?

KansasA said...

D I hung it right above the place I feed the birds and they are already landing on it. It's me who's too slow with the camera today to catch a pic, lol.
Oh for sure T! I think that would look gorgeous! :D