Thursday, April 19, 2007

HP Sauce Recipe

Like my life, I have no set days for anything and just post when and what I want on my blog...so up goes another recipe. Two posts in a row :)

This recipe came from Rob, a great friend who lives in Pritchard, it's where I lived for about seven years, although she used to live in Lillooet (where I came back to) years ago and our families knew each other way back when.

The original recipe called for 4 1/2 cups of sugar but I found it too sweet, almost like that "Tutti Fruiti" HP Sauce so I cut the sugar back to about 3 cups and it's now more like regular HP Sauce. I process it in pint jars; when I'm ready to use it I pour into a water bottle and keep it refrigerated. I also use water bottles for salad dressings, the ones with the wide mouths are the best, especially when you buy in bulk.


HP sauce

12 Cups chopped apples
12 Cups chopped blue plums -prune plums
2 onions
3 heads of garlic
1/4 cup pickling salt
3 cups white sugar
6 Cups malt vinegar
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon cayenne

Cook fruit, onions, and garlic. Press though sieve, puree in a blender, or use a berry press. Add spices, salt, sugar, and malt vinegar, then boil down until fairly thick (this can take quite awhile).
Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes. If I remember right I think it makes about 8 pints, but it's been almost a year since I made it! When I make it this year I'll update as to the exact amount.
Can be used on meat, eggs, and for a dipping sauce.

11 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

Sounds delicious!

Have you considered maybe adding some coriander and / or cardamom, to give it more of a "chutney" flavor? It sounds awfully like some of the chutneys I've done, which is why I ask. Also, if you go for the ginger flavor at all, you may want to consider ordering some dried ginger (I use SFHerb.com), because the flavor is radically different than fresh or candied. Generally, the "finest" ginger is dried whole, the next best grade is dried, the next after that is powdered, and then the dregs get shipped to the supermarket.

If you grow tomatoes at all, we've some recipes which make similar sauces to yours, but which use the green tomatoes from the end of the harvest season (after the nights have dropped below 50 degrees, the tomatoes aren't worth anything). Our recipes tend to be "fruitmince" recipes first, though, and then we take a small portion of the main & turn it into chutney (with the hot & the onion).

What better than to think of canning, when it's almost time to start gardening. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kansas I've had your HP Sauce and it's great. Just like the store bought stuff only better I think..I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This stuff isn't even out of the crock pot yet but I just had to post and say it is awesome. I cut back a little on the sugar by preference and it is exactly like the stuff in the little glass jar.
Thanks for feeding my habit.

KansasA said...

I too cut back on the sugar. I'm glad you like the recipe, and no prob about the "habit" I have a few too :) LOL

Anonymous said...

i have to say,,I'm on my second batch now.. everyone wants some! this recipie is AWSOME! thanx for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

I just made the above recipe but added some of the ingredients you find on the back of the HP bottle; tomato paste, tamarind and molassa. It's great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the HP recipe. What is "Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes" As far as I am aware this is unknown in Australia

Thanks
Alan

KansasA said...

Hi Alan,
You take the jars and submerge them in a canner. When they have hard boiled for 15 minutes take them out and you will hear the lids "pop" and you know the jars are sealed. Not sure what it would be called in Australia but I'm sure it's done all over the world, maybe just under a different name??

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. A friend used to give me a couple jars every year - that I hoarded like gold. Then I lost contact with her and I couldn't get the recipe.
This has to be the recipe because she used to live in Pritchard too, and you needed a bunch of plums.
Thank you! I can now use those bags of plums in the freezer.

KansasA said...

Hi Carla,
Was your friend in Pritchard Robbie, married to Dan? Pritchard is such a small place and it seems we all knew everyone there. Rob has moved now and travels with Dan on the road to different jobs.
I just made a batch not too long ago with plums, and apples, that had been in the freezer for a couple of years and the recipe turned out great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kansas :)
I just made your HP recipe and made 2 changes. (1) I halved the recipe. (2) I used pears instead of apples. It turned out great!! I thought I would mention that your instructions don't say when to add the sugar or vinegar so I just added it when I added the spices. :) Thanks for the recipe!! (P.S. - By halving it I got 9 x 250 ml (1 cup) jars)

--Jo V.